“It is crucial to be mindful of death — to contemplate that you will not remain long in this life. If you are not aware of death, you will fail to take advantage of this special human life that you have already attained. it is meaningful since, based on it, important effects can be accomplished.
Analysis of death is not for the sake of becoming fearful but to appreciate this precious lifetimes during which you can perform many important practices. Rather than being frightened, you need to reflect that when death comes, you will lose this good opportunity for practice. In this way contemplation of death will bring moreenergy to your practice.
You need to accept that death comes in the normal course of life. As Buddha said:
A place to stay untouched by death
Does not exist.
It does not exist in space, it does not exist in
Nor if you stay in the middle of a mountain.
If you accept that death is part of life, then when it actually does come, you may face it more easily.
When people know deep inside that death will come but deliberately avoid thinking about it, that does not fit the situation and is counterproductive. The same is true when old age is not accepted as part of life but taken to be unwanted and deliberately avoided in thought. This leads to being mentally unprepared; then when old age inevitably occurs, it is very difficult.”
Deep gratitude to His Holiness for all of the teachings he has shared with us over the past seven decades, but no teaching more precious than the teaching he has given us of the example of his life.
May His Holiness have a continued long and healthy life. May He live to see His people politically free and safe from harm.
Youtube Video of His Holiness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIX3tdFPolg&feature=related – Finding Happiness in Troubled Times
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XFhWI6QOHg&feature=relmfu – 76th Birthday Celebration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeryKuwHqUU&feature=relmfu – On Birthdays
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYpLaQ56Cdw&feature=related – News clip on Richard Gere going to see HH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2wZh6wbXJI&feature=related – Clip from the Today Show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyAoFdx6914&feature=related — Richard Gere interview from 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxhVvXqBiDc&feature=relmfu – Talk for World Peace
- His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s 77th Birthday Celebrations (ireport.cnn.com)
- New Mindfulness Software with Teachings by the Dalai Lama (prweb.com)
- New Autobiography MY SPIRITUAL JOURNEY by the Dalai Lama Contains Never Before Published Material (prweb.com)
- The Dalai Lama, Arianna Huffington Interview: His Holiness Discusses Compassion, Science, Religion And Sleep (VIDEO) (huffingtonpost.com)
- His Holiness the Dalai Lama Visits Kailua High School – “Cultivating Unbiased Compassion” (damontucker.com)
- His Holiness The Dalai Lama Blesses the Hokule’a, Answers Questions and HOLDS MY HAND! (damontucker.com)
- Dalai Lama (filipinofestival.wordpress.com)
- Celebrating Dalai Lama’s Birthday Indiana Bloomington (mongolamerican.wordpress.com)
- The End of Suffering and The Discovery of Happiness The Path of Tibetan Buddhism by Dalai Lama (evolutionarymystic.wordpress.com)
- Happy 77th birthday your Holiness. (rtyctoronto.com)
- Happy Birthday Dalai Lama! (omtimes.com)
- Quotes from HH The Dalai Lama (zenmoments.org)
- HH Dalai Lama To Celebrate 77th Birthday (huffingtonpost.com)
- Happy 77th Birthday, Dalai Lama! (world.time.com)
- Happy Birthday Your Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet, wishes from all over the World! (lhakardiaries.com)