You have sticky notes… I know you do… if not, you have scrap paper or something. . . old wrapping paper, etc.
You have a cell phone, a tablet, a computer. . . I know you do…
So why not turn these every day things into every day mindfulness bells?
Mindfulness bells, for those of you who are new to meditation or mindfulness, are things that wake us up and remind us to stop sleepwalking, to pay attention, and to be present to what is going on inside of us and around us.
Here are some ideas for you to put around your house, in your pocket (on your cell phone), to burn into wood, to write in lipstick on your mirror, because remember, wherever you go, that’s where you are…
Make every moment a time to pause and re-member what’s important.
“Forgetfulness is the darkness; mindfulness is the light. I bring awareness to shine upon all life.” (great for light switches and lamps)
“The mind is like a computer with thousands of pages. I choose a world that is tranquil and calm, so that my joy will always be fresh.”
“Mindful breathing brings your body and mind back together.”
“May I be peaceful, happy, and light in body and spirit.”
“May I be safe and free from injury.” (Good one for the car?)
“May I be free from anger, afflictions, fear, and anxiety.” (Find your toughest place to be; maybe hang this all over that place.”
“May I learn to look at myself with the eyes of understanding and love.”
“May I be able to recognize and touch the seeds of joy and happiness in myself.”
“May I learn to identify and see the sources of anger, craving, and delusion in myself.”
“May I know how to nourish the seeds of joy in myself ever day.” (Good for the kitchen, near the placemat, fridge, etc)
“May I be free from attachment and aversion, but not be indifferent.” (Great for work!)
All of these can be found in Thich Nhat Hanh‘s Creating Space.
- Following the Breath – Thich Nhat Hanh (namasteconsultinginc.com)
- Inspiration from Thich Nhat Hanh on Mindful Living (liveloveveg.wordpress.com)
- Gathas – Setting Our Attention and Intention (namasteconsultinginc.com)
- Who is Thich Nhat Hanh? (sluggerotoole.com)
- quote du jour ~thich nhat hanh – miracles (pathwriter.wordpress.com)
- Thich Nhat Hanh: In Engaged Buddhism, Peace Begins with You (talesfromthelou.wordpress.com)
- “The One” (namasteconsultinginc.com)
- “Welcome Everything, Push Away Nothing” (namasteconsultinginc.com)
- Insights into happiness, love, being + mindfulness by various authors (aaronasphar.com)